In 1998 a group of community leaders came together out of concern for kids on the west side of Springfield, Ohio, and formed SCYM. SCYM now serves over 600 elementary and middle school students city-wide each year, with the help of more than 300 volunteers dedicated to “helping kids crush the odds with the love of God.” SCYM is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Click here to view our Guidestar profile, including Form 990.
Tyler Worley: Executive Director
Tyler has been at SCYM since 2011 and directs the Manpower and Wise Guys programs, as well as working with Camp Boost. A Springfield native, Tyler and his wife Krista have two sons and one daughter, whom he is actively instilling with his love for baseball and wiffle ball. One of Tyler’s favorite verses for ministry is Luke 18:16: “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.” (NLT) He and his family attend RiverSong Church.
Jessica Hanely: Mentoring & Graphic Design Director
A graduate of nearby Wittenberg University, Jessica joined Team SCYM in 2012, and works with GirlPower as well as Camp Boost. She is part of Champion City Church, is passionate about Springfield, and loves to travel, especially when she can use her German fluency. Jessica is married to Jason and mom to two sweet kids.
Eryca Payne: Marketing & STARS Director
Eryca brings the unique perspective of being a former SCYM kid! As a middle school student she was part of the STARS Afterschool Program at Westside, as well as the beginning stages of GirlPower. Later she began attending Westside where she began her walk with Christ. She is a graduate of Springfield High, Clark State, and Wright State University. She loves coffee, to travel and go on adventures, and attends Champion City Church. Eryca is married to Bryon, whom she first met at Clark Middle School, and they have a daughter and a son.
Chelsie Hellwig: Grants & Financial Administrator
A graduate of Shawnee and Cedarville University, Chelsie was a part of the Biz Ba$ics pilot at Southgate. She’s traveled all over the world and has a passion for language. Some of the languages she has studied are French, Russian, Italian, Welsh and Spanish (fun fact: there are 6 different ways to say “yes” in Welsh). Chelsie has a passion for community restoration, attends Central Christian, and doesn’t go anywhere without a pen and paper.
Aaron Clark: Biz Ba$ics Director
Aaron is a lover of Jesus and enjoys music and ministry. You can find him all over town doing things the Lord. He is married to Cassandra and they are a part of Restored Life Ministries.
Victor Eubanks: ManPower Director
Our Mission, Vision, and Values
MISSION: The mission of Springfield City Youth Mission (SCYM) is to help city school students grow in healthy directions spiritually, educationally, socially, and physically by:
– Following the teachings of Christ
– Building bridges between local churches and urban children and youth
– Developing creative, excellent programs
– Fostering environments where students are known and listened to
VISION: The vision of Springfield City Youth Mission is “Thriving youth, thriving community.”
- Hope-Filled Presence: Long-term consistency with children and youth that communicates their value and potential
- Relationships: Change happens and hope is grasped through meaningful relationships
- Love: We love one another, kids, and our community with a love that comes from God
- Church-centered: The church is God’s plan for hope, healing, and support for kids and their families
- Transformation/Growth: Moving ourselves and young people toward God’s vision for what we can be
- Safe Haven: Creating environments where each young person is known and feels cared for and builds trust with adults
- Collaborative Stewardship: Joining hands with others to handle all resources, including people, with care, attention, and respect
- Mobility: We are committed to go and partner with others where the community’s greatest needs exist