community

How God brought me to SCYM

Posted on

A big shalom to you from here at Springfield Christian Youth Ministries. My name is Tyler Worley I’m the new associate director at SCYM and director of the STARS program. Before coming to SCYM I was a chaplain with Public School Outreach for Christ(PSOC). The main school I served at was Simon Kenton Elementary. I […]

brighter futures

Pulling Weeds of Apathy

Posted on

On a hot, muggy evening on the west side of Springfield, six 13- to 15-year-olds arrive at the Hannah House, a home for single moms. As the sun is setting, people appear on their front porches, driven outside by the lack of air conditioning and stifling heat. Some eye the kids suspiciously, wondering what a […]

community

What’s in your closet?

Posted on

Recently during an office clean-out, we discovered some children’s picture Bibles stashed in a cupboard, unused for some time. Wanting to put them to better use, STARS director Jeff Nelson took them to the “STARS-Bucks Store,” where kids participating in the program could cash in points they had earned for items they wanted – small […]

community

Do not worry. Do not worry. Do not worry.

Posted on

Confession: I’ve been anxious lately. I’ve been anxious about money. Not my money, but SCYM’s. It’s no secret – the economy stinks. The stock market is sagging. Jobs are being cut. Everyone is limping along. And nonprofits are no exception. We survive on donations, so when our donors are hurting, we feel the pinch. So […]

community

Christmas and Consumerism

Posted on

Please note, the following is not an appeal for money or really about SCYM at all – just some things I’ve been pondering this weekend. I don’t know if this is the first year it happened or just the first year that I paid attention, but you knew it was coming. As the doors of […]

community

Join Us in Prayer

Posted on

Every week in my Anger Management groups at Clark and Schaefer I ask the kids to answer 3 questions: 1-How do you feel right now and why? 2-What is one good thing that happened this week? 3-What is one not so good thing that happened this week? It’s amazing how many times the kids’ feelings […]

community

OX ROAST 2008

Posted on

Save the Date for SCYM’s annual Ox Roast – SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 5:00-7:00 pm in Northridge! Featuring … – DELICIOUS ROAST BEEF slow roasted on site, with mouth-watering sides provided this year by Rudy’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Q. Hot dogs available for kids. – LIVE MUSIC by the Muleskinner Band and Singer/Songwriter Jill Potter – INFLATABLES AND […]

brighter futures

REACH

Posted on

REACH is a leadership development camp that I and Wes Stevens (from the YMCA) dreamed up in the spring and have been offering throughout the month of July. Fifteen kids have been involved throughout the summer.     Tuesdays are our ‘practical experience’ day for REACH. One Tuesday, the kids were put into teams and […]

brighter futures

We are online!

Posted on

SCYM is launching a new website: www.scyministries.org. We are also excited about starting this blog! Check in often to get the latest information on the staff and ministry. A staff member or volunteer will update it at least once a week. Thanks for your interest in this ministry!