brighter futures

Back from sabbatical: Update from Faith

Posted on

I (Faith) am back from a 5-week sabbatical after 9 years of ministry with SCYM, and wanted to give you a quick update. I’ll try to be brief! 1) I’m not resigning! (Supposedly there is some stereotype that people resign when they get back from sabbatical?) Actually, I’m energized and ready to jump back into […]

community

Stop the Violence: A Call to Action

Posted on

This past week in Springfield a young man—a football star, well-liked by his teachers and his peers—had his life snuffed out by a bullet while trying to stop a fight. His young life impacted many. There is a ripple of shock and anger that a young man who was making many positive choices could have […]

brighter futures

Fill a summer tote for a STARS kid!

Posted on

Tote bag season is here! Would you like to bless a Springfield kid with some summer fun? We’re looking for some folks to fill a tote bag (like the ones pictured here) with “summer survival gear” for a STARS kid in grades K-6. What goes in a tote bag?     – Something educational (a […]

brighter futures

9 Things You Need to Know about Springfield Kids

Posted on

If you were at the SCYM Spring Dessert last week, you heard some statistics about Springfield and Clark County kids. These statistics aren’t easy to hear. In fact, most are pretty hard for us to hear. But all of these statistics are things the Church and community in Clark County need to know, and work […]

afterschool program

Give Hope to One

Posted on

Sometimes I struggle with how to paint a verbal picture for you of what I hear and see every day at SCYM. There are little moments that happen in ordinary spaces with ordinary people, and stories that unfold over a long haul, that you know are eternally significant because hope has entered. At SCYM we […]

community

Blake Shaffer wins "Celebrity" Dance-Off for SCYM!

Posted on

Accountant, SCYM Board President, and newly-minted dance champion Blake Shaffer “crushed it” on the dance floor to help SCYM kids crush the odds last Friday! SCYM was selected to participate in the 3rd annual Dancing with Clark County Celebrities with six other charities, and with Blake’s drive to dance (and the votes of many), he […]