DeAntre is holding a Bible because this past summer, he came to Camp Boost Summer Reading Club at Clifton Avenue Church of God, where he heard about Jesus and learned all about comics in his reading club. (That’s Mr. Mike, one of his teachers and a Cedarville University professor, behind his shoulder.) DeAntre’s comics club used this particular Bible, called The Action Bible. You could often find the boys in the club leafing through the Action Bible in their spare time, because it was so engaging to them.
But DeAntre isn’t just holding A Bible. He’s holding HIS Bible. That’s because of the generosity of several individuals, who wanted to make it possible for each boy to take their own Action Bible home. These kids, many of whom live in poverty, were thrilled when they learned they each got to keep a Bible!
DeAntre is just one of 125 Springfield kids who received a Bible at Camp Boost this summer. This Christmas, we’d like to invite you to make it possible for 125 more kids — and maybe more if we launch another Camp Boost! — to receive a high-quality, engaging Bible. A Bible that will be theirs!
Here’s how the “Bible Drive” works:
1. Stop by Beacon of Hope Bookstore (1127 N. Bechtle Avenue) between November 22 and December 31.
2. Tell a staff person which Bible you would like to purchase for a Springfield kid. There are three choices:
The Jesus Storybook Bible retails for $14.97. On Thursday, December 12, only, it’s $6.97. (Worth the wait!!) These will go to our Preschool and K-3rd graders. We need 100 of these!
And the My Beautiful Princess Bible is on sale for $19.97 from November 22-30 only. After December 1, the price goes back up. We need 25 of these for our 4th/5th grade girls. It looks a little girly on the front, but inside it has some great messages for girls about God’s love and value for them.
3. The staffperson will ring up whichever Bible you choose, and you pay for it, but the Bible will stay at Beacon of Hope. They will pass them along to SCYM when the drive is done.
4. While you’re at the store, we’d like you to write a short note to the child who will receive it next year. You don’t have to sign your whole name; just write a little encouragement. It means the world to a kid when something has been personalized for them! And you may not know their story … but God does.
5. Finally, just leave your name and email address on a little tear-off the staffperson will give you. That way we can email you a tax-deductible receipt and give you an update on the drive.
That’s it! So while you’re out running errands and shopping for gifts this Thanksgiving and Christmas, why not make one more stop at Beacon and pick up a Bible to bless a kid like DeAntre?