In 1998 a group of community leaders came together out of concern for kids on Springfield’s west side, and formed SCYM. SCYM now serves over 500 elementary and middle school students city-wide each year, with the help of more than 200 volunteers dedicated to “helping kids crush the odds with the love of God.”
Faith Bosland: Executive Director
Prior to starting with SCYM in 2005, Faith spent six years in paid church youth ministry (and thirteen years living in New England.) Faith has loved getting to know the community and working with people from many churches and schools. She and husband Keith have two kids who are Springfield-born and attend Springfield City Schools. They love taking family adventures together, and being part of High Street Church of the Nazarene.
Tyler Worley: Associate Director
Tyler has been at SCYM since 2011 and directs the STARS and Wise Guys programs, as well as working with Camp Boost. A Springfield native, Tyler and his wife Krista have two sons and one daughter, whom he looks forward to instilling with his love for baseball and wiffle ball. One of Tyler’s favorite verses for ministry is Luke 18:16: “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.” (NLT) He and his family attend Champion City Vineyard.
Jessica Hanely: GirlPower Director
A graduate of nearby Wittenberg University, Jessica joined Team SCYM in 2012, and works with GirlPower as well as Camp Boost. She is part of Champion City Vineyard, is passionate about Springfield, and loves to travel, especially when she can use her German fluency. Jessica recently got married to husband Jason.
Eryca Testerment: STARS/Admin Assistant
Eryca brings the unique perspective of being a former SCYM kid! As a Clark Middle School student she was part of the STARS Afterschool Program at Westside, as well as the beginning stages of GirlPower. Later she began attending Westside where she began her walk with Christ. She is a Springfield High grad, has a degree from Clark State, and is pursuing a four-year degree at Wright State in Mass Communication. She loves to travel and go on adventures, and is part of Westside Christian Community.
Our Mission, Vision, and Values
MISSION: The mission of Springfield Christian Youth Ministries (SCYM) is to help city school students grow in healthy directions spiritually, educationally, socially, and physically by:
– Following the teachings of Christ
– Building bridges between local churches and urban children and youth
– Developing creative, excellent programs
– Fostering environments where students are known and listened to
VISION: The vision of Springfield Christian Youth Ministries is “Thriving youth, thriving community.”
- Hope-Filled Presence: Long-term consistency with children and youth that communicates their value and potential
- Relationships: Change happens and hope is grasped through meaningful relationships
- Love: We love one another, kids, and our community with a love that comes from God
- Church-centered: The church is God’s plan for hope, healing, and support for kids and their families
- Transformation/Growth: Moving ourselves and young people toward God’s vision for what we can be
- Safe Haven: Creating environments where each young person is known and feels cared for and builds trust with adults
- Collaborative Stewardship: Joining hands with others to handle all resources, including people, with care, attention, and respect
- Mobility: We are committed to go and partner with others where the community’s greatest needs exist